Mr. Willow’s Tasty Fishcakes
Here is the recipe for Mr. Willow’s tasty fish cakes. One of the meals we serve for lunch as part of our Four Week Rolling Menu. The children love to eat them, why not try and make them at home?
Enjoyable meal times are such an important part of our culture at Willow Cottage. We prioritise time together where the children can learn about their food and how it is important for their growth and development.
If you use fresh fish take great care to remove all the bones. For younger children we suggest using tinned fish since the bones are very soft and do not present a problem.
Tasty fish cakes:
- Finely chop an onion, a clove of garlic and one or two peppers.
- Cook gently in a pan with 2 tablespoons (or glugs) of olive oil.
- Drain a tin of sardines (or other oily fish) remove any bones and add the flesh, to the onion mix.
- Add some mashed/roughly chopped potato, and a finely chopped tomato.
- Season and mix well.
- Spoon out apple sized portions, flatten to about 1 cm thick and roll/pat on some plain flour.
- Dip in a beaten egg and then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry lightly in some olive or sunflower oil for about 3-4 minutes each side, or place on a Teflon liner on a baking tray and place in a hot oven 180*C for approximately 30 – 40 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Serve with a tasty small leafed salad or fresh vegetables.
To find out about working for Willow Cottage and a full list of positions available, please see our job vacancies
Our nurseries are a special and rewarding place for your child. Find out more about our nurseries.